If you want to develop your own website, you can never go wrong with WordPress. WordPress is a flexible and powerful Content Management System (CMS) which powers over 30% of all sites on the internet, making it a leading platform.
What Is WordPress?
If you are looking to build your first website, WordPress is an excellent solution. You can use it to develop and maintain a website without any prior knowledge of coding. This software enables you to customise every aspect of your website. WordPress began as a platform designed for people who wanted to create basic blogs. Over time, however, it has grown into a tool for creating almost any type of website.
What Makes WordPress Unique?
- The platform is free to use.
- Many free and low-cost tools can be used in WordPress.
- WordPress is designed to be user-friendly boasts features most desired by website creators.
What Can You Do With WordPress?
The WordPress dashboard makes it extremely easy to manage everything related to your site from one location. Here is a small list of the type of sites WordPress can be used for:
- Online portfolios: With the correct WordPress theme, you can efficiently showcase your achievements and skills, or even display your work and projects.
- News sites: WordPress’ blog format works exceptionally well for news articles, and many of the same features can be used for both blogging and news sites.
- E-commerce stores: If you are running a store online, there are lots of WordPress tools to help you through it.
- Community hubs: You can easily create forums, knowledge bases, fan sites, or any other place for similar-minded people to connect online.
- Business sites: Regardless of whether your business is large or small, provide contact details, you can share information and build a powerful online presence.
If you are not certain about the type of website you want to create, you can always start small and scale up over time.
How Should You Get Started With WordPress?
WordPress is a self-hosting platform, and there are a few steps to create your first site. However, the process is not that hard. Here is what you will have to do:
- Pick a Domain Name – This is the unique web address of your site. It is advisable to choose a domain that is catchy but also simple enough for visitors to remember easily.
- Purchase Hosting – You will need access to a web server, where your site’s data and files are saved.
- Install WordPress – Once you have a domain and a hosting plan, you are ready to download and install WordPress.
- Customise Your Site With Themes and Plugins – It is okay to explore and start small. We recommend looking for a theme first, then choosing a couple of plugins to start. You can always add on more plugins over time as you need them.
- Start Creating Content – There are two primary types of content in WordPress: posts and pages. Both use the same beginner-friendly editor, and you will find putting together your first few pieces of content very easy.
This might look like a lot of work, but you can get through the first few steps and on to creating content in a matter of hours.
WordPress is popular primarily because it is a perfect solution for a wide variety of applications. Both beginners and professional developers can use it to create blogs, e-commerce sites and everything in between. What is more, it is surprisingly simple to get started with.